History of Consulate General of India, Melbourne
Territorial jurisdiction: Victoria and Tasmania
- The Consulate General of India was established in Melbourne on 01 September 2006 to extend consular services and to augment cultural and economic relations between India and the States of Victoria and Tasmania.
- Before September 2006, the work was being done by an Honorary Consul General.
- The Consulate was initially located at 15 Munro Street Coburg. It was later shifted to the present location: 344 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, in 2010.
- The Heads of Post in Melbourne have been as follows:
|Shri Butshikan Singh
||September 2006 –May 2007
|Ms Anita Nayar
||June 2007 – May 2011
|Dr. Subhakanta Behra
||May 2011 – November 2012
|Ms Manika Jain
||October 2013 - Present
History of Consulate General of India, Perth
Territorial jurisdiction: Western Australia and Northern Territory
- The Consulate General of India in Perth was inaugurated by H.E. Mr S M Krishna, External Affairs Minister, Government of India on 26 October 2011. The inauguration function was attended by Australian Defence Minister H.E. Mr. Stephen Smith. Several State
Ministers and Members of WA Parliament attended the function.
- Speaking at the Ceremony EAM said the state of Western Australia has a special role to play in the growth of strategic partnership between India and Australia.
- The opening of a Consulate General of India in Perth is testimony to the importance we attach to the relationship with Australia, and within Australia, to a state on an Ocean whose shores we share.
- The work looked after by CGI, Perth relates to commercial & trade related information and all consular services.
History of Consulate General of India, Sydney
Territorial jurisdiction : New South Wales and South Australia.
- The Consulate General of India was established in Sydney in 1941 as the Trade Commission of India.
- The First Trade Commissioner was Mr. R.R. Saxena of the Imperial Customs Service and was appointed to this Post from the afternoon of January 30, 1941. He presented his papers to the Australian Governor General on March 7, 1941.
- In 1948, Mr. G. Parameswaran Pillai became Independent India's first Trade Commissioner to Australia and New Zealand.
- In April 1968, the name of the Trade Commission was changed to the Deputy High Commission of India.
- In January 1973, the Deputy High Commission of India acquired its present name of Consulate General of India, Sydney.
- Available records indicate that the Trade Commission was first housed at 39 Martin Place, Sydney. It was then relocated to ‘Caltex House’ in Kent Street, Sydney, from where it moved in the mid-1980s to Walker Street in North Sydney.From 1994 to 2010, the
Consulate was located at 25 Bligh Street in Sydney, and later relocated to 190 George Street and then to 109 Pitt Street in Sydney before moving to its current and permanent premises at Level 1, 265 Castlereagh Street in Sydney.
As per available records, the Heads of Post in Sydney have been as follows
|Mr. Ramji Ram Saxena
||Jan 1941 - N.A.
|Mr. Girdhari Lal Puri
|Mr. Roy Axel Khan
||Mar 1965 - Apr 1969
Deputy High Commissioner
|Mr. Roy Axel Khan
||Apr 1968 - Aug 1969
|Mr. Giteshwar Raj
||Aug 1969 - Nov 1971
|Mr. Jyotirmoy Baruah
||Dec 1971 - Dec 1972
|Mr. Hari Kishan Mahajan
||Jan 1973 - Jul 1976
|Mr. Virendra Pal Singh
||Jul 1976 - Oct 1979
|Mr. Inderjeet Singh Rathore
||Dec 1979 - Apr 1983
|Mr. Arun Kumar Banerjee
||Jun 1983 - Jul 1986
|Mr. Vidya Bhushan Soni
||Aug 1986 - Oct 1989
|Mr. Arif Qamarain
||Mar 1990 - Nov 1992
|Mr. C. Pathilyil Ravindranathan
||Nov 1992 - Aug 1995
|Mr. Vijay Kumar
||Aug 1995 - Mar 2001
|Mr. M. Ganapathi
||Apr 2001 - Dec 2005
|Mr. Sujan R. Chinoy
||Jan 2006 - Dec 2008
|Mr. Amit Dasgupta
||Feb 2009 - Jun 2012
|Mr. Arun Kumar Goel
||Jun 2012 - Mar 2014
|Mr. Sunjay Sudhir
||May 2014 - Dec 2015
|Mr. B. Vanlalvawna
||Feb 2016- Present